Looking for a fun leadership opportunity to enhance your student experience at Maryland? Apply for Carapace, an organization of student ambassadors for the University of Maryland Alumni Association. Named for the upper shell of a turtle, Carapace represents a broad cross-section of the student experience at Maryland. Carapace members will be chosen from each class year and will work closely with alumni association staff for the 2013-14 school year. This diverse group of students develops and executes programs that bridge the gap between current students and alumni through campus traditions, networking opportunities, and other exciting programs.
The mission of Carapace is to develop a life-long relationship between students and the University of Maryland through:
- Traditions - Sustaining campus traditions and establishing new and innovative programs
- Engagement - Connecting past, present & future Terps through meaningful engagement opportunities
- Relationships - Building relationships with other Terps to strengthen their affinity toward the alumni association
- Philanthropy - Educating about and generating excitement around student giving initiatives
- Service - Strengthening the local community by giving back with time and talent in the name of Maryland
In order to be considered, you must:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Be of freshman, sophomore, or junior standing at the time of application. Unfortunately, seniors graduating in December 2013 are not eligible to apply.
- Be interested in taking on a leadership role that will require attendance at twice monthly meetings and some evening and weekend time commitments.
- Have interest in and aptitude for networking among Maryland alumni and donors, upholding campus traditions, asking fellow students to support the university and building a life-long connection to Maryland after graduation.
- Have some flexible weekday availability to participate in personalized campus tours for alumni, donors, and prospective students.
- Enjoy having fun and taking pride in what it means to be a Terp!
How to Apply:
Preview the information required for the application HERE. When you're ready to submit everything, fill out the application located HERE. The “best consideration” deadline is Thursday, April 18 at 5 p.m. Applications received after that deadline will be evaluated on a rolling basis until the final application deadline, which is Monday, April 29 at noon. Candidates who apply by April 18 will be notified on April 22 as to whether they have moved forward in the selection process. Select candidates will be chosen to participate in an interview process and new members will be notified of their acceptance by May 6.
New Carapace members will be invited to attend their first meeting along with returning Carapace members on Tuesday, May 7 at 7:30 p.m. Please save-the-date for this important event!