Maybe someone helped you get where you are today. Maybe you are looking for a career change or just moved to a new community. Your Alumni Association offers opportunities to connect with your Terp network, both virtually and on campus.
Three Ways to Engage with Mentorship
Intern for a Day
Intern for a Day, through the University of Maryland University Career Center & The President's Promise, connects current UMD students with hosts for short-term job shadowing opportunities to explore potential career fields. It's a valuable experience for students, a unique recruiting tool and a rewarding volunteer experience.
- In-person job shadowing: half day or full-day experiences for students (seeking professionals locally in DMV-area only).
- Virtual informational interviews: 1-hour virtual informational interviews to give students good insight into your background, current work and industry (seeking professionals globally).
Get Involved with the Career Center
The Career Center & The President’s Promise offers a number of ways to share your expertise with fellow Terps, including:
- Career Panels: Share career advice and industry insights with current UMD students;
- Jobs & Internships: Hire students and recent graduates or offer employer information sessions on campus;
- Mock Interview Clinics: Assist students with interview simulations;
- Resume Clinics: Provide students with personalized feedback on their resumes.
If you are interested in participating, please contact Linda J. LeNoir, assistant director of alumni relations at the University Career Center, at (301) 314-7240 or email@example.com
Terrapins Connect is the University's virtual platform with the goal of connecting Terps from across the world with one another for mentoring, networking and professional opportunities. Whether you are looking to get advice or give advice, Terrapins Connect provides a way to get involved. By joining the platform, you gain access to thousands of fellow Terps, groups, formal and informal mentoring programs and an active discussion board led by the community. What are you waiting for? Get started today!
Having trouble getting started? Email manager of alumni career programs, Megan Masterson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Setting up your account is quick and easy! Once you do so, you'll be able to network, become a mentor, participate in group discussions, and much more!
- Go to the Terrapins Connect homepage.
- Click the "Join Your Community" button.
- Select a signup method (ex. LinkedIn, Email, SSO)
- Choose your User Type (ex. "Student, Alumni, Faculty/Staff)
- Fill out your background info (if you use LinkedIn, your information will auto-populate!)
You may need to wait for an admin to approve your account. If that's the case, you’ll receive an email once your account has been approved.
Terrapins Connect Platform FAQs
Signing up is easy. Go to www.terrapinsconnect.umd.edu and click on "Join Our Community." Mentors and mentees can choose to sign in through LinkedIn, Facebook or email.
Our team does our best to approve users as quickly as possible. Please allow 24 business hours. If you are concerned, you can email email@example.com.
- Click on your profile image in the upper right and then select "My Preferences" from the drop-down.
- Select "Account" from the menu on the left.
- Update your email address and password under "Email ID and Password." Remember to save your changes!
- You will need to confirm your new email by clicking the link we will send to your new address; once you have done so, we will start sending notifications to your new email.
Learn how to reset your password whether or not you're logged in.
Did you receive a message that your info was connected to an existing account? Sounds like you might already have an account! Select the statement below that sounds most relevant.
The program will recommend connections based on your profile information. You can also choose to browse the entire TerrapinsConnect community by industry, major, location and more. Once you decide to reach out to a mentor, send a request to become officially paired.
Once they accept, they can send you a meeting invite for a phone call or video chat. You will receive emails to let you know when you've received a message.
Alumni can absolutely join seeking mentorship. As an alum, you can connect with other alumni in your city or industry of interest. If you are interested in mentoring students and gaining career advice, you can do both!
Make sure you have taken the matching quiz to set your preferences, fully and accurately filled out your profile and set your availability. This will make it easier for mentees to find you! Also, please remember it is a large platform and sometimes it may take a while for mentees to find you.
Additionally, check your spam folder in case of any lost messages. If you find messages are consistently appearing in spam, click the Help button in the bottom left of the Terrapins Connect platform.
Terrapins Connect does NOT have an anonymous profile option. We felt it was important for people to "see" the face of their mentor, especially since the initial contact between mentor and mentee is via email. If you need to remain anonymous but want to participate in this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each individual will use this resource differently. Some will have specific professional development questions, some will want to speak with people employed in specific industries or at specific organizations, some may need to talk through making their resume more concise. It will depend on you and how you feel you can best utilize Terrapins Connect.
Please email email@example.com and explain you want your profile deleted from the system. We will remove you from the system within five business days.
We ask that you be open to all students on campus, as you never know how your experiences might related to them, even though they may not be an "expected" advisee (i.e.. an engineering student seeking advice from a lawyer or someone in the public sector).
No. You can set your availability to allow connection requests from the number of mentees that you are comfortable of. You can also deny any connection request if your schedule is full or you feel it is the wrong fit.
Yes. You can update your availability at any time by clicking the dropdown menu next to your icon in the top right. Select "My Preferences" and navigate to the "Availability" section in the left sidebar.
New platforms can be tricky to master, see a longer list of FAQs.