The University of Maryland Alumni Association hires 12 interns each year. Interns learn about the university, the Division of University Relations and the Alumni Association. Moreover, they get exposure to the inner workings of a nonprofit, such as engagement, event planning, cultivation, stewardship and membership.
Interns support various teams at the Alumni Association including the Business Team, the Membership Team, the Outreach and Engagement Team (Events & Programs and Regional & Campus), and the Riggs Alumni Center Events Team.
- Full-time undergraduate student
- Available to work for an entire academic year
- Available to work occasional weekend hours
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive
- Familiar and proficient with social networking websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Friendly and courteous with excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Capable of working independently, but willing to take directions to meet team goals
- Willing to ask questions to ensure that projects are in line with objectives
- Willing to have fun while working and show an energetic Terp spirit
Hours and Compensation:
Student interns work 10 to 12 hours each week. The starting salary for all interns is $12.50/hour. Interns are eligible for annual increases based on merit and tenure within the office.
Stay tuned for available Internships for the 2022-23 academic year. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Title: Membership Operations Intern
Department: Alumni Membership Department
Report to: Membership Operations Manager
Work Hours: Part-Time, approximately 10-12 hours per week
The University of Maryland Alumni Association seeks a responsible, pro-active student with an interest in the field of alumni programs and services to serve as a Membership intern.
Job Description: Membership Intern for the University of Maryland Alumni Association.
Works with the Membership Coordinator on administrative tasks including mailings, membership and data quality project reviews, and alumni ID lookups.
Assists in answering telephone calls about the membership program
Produce general correspondence on behalf of the Alumni Association & Alumni Membership department.
Assist with the distribution of mailings for various programs.
Understand, navigate and utilize the alumni database and the internal network drives.
Serve as an ambassador for the Alumni Association and the University of Maryland, College Park.
Assist with managing product inventory located in our building.
Excellent organizational skills; should be detail-oriented.
Provides excellent customer service to the participants of Alumni Association programs and when responding to general inquiries
Ability to multi-task and manage various time-sensitive and spontaneous requests.
Exude an energetic but professional demeanor when communicating with various audiences alumni and Alumni Association staff
Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
Exhibit business professional attire and appropriate conduct.
Detail-oriented in order to handle payment in the form of credit card, cash and check for memberships
Experience working with Microsoft Office and Google Suite products, primarily Word/Docs and Excel/Sheets.
Ability to work in both a team environment and independently.
Demonstrate dependability and maturity; ability to balance and prioritize work and school obligations.
Assist with selling membership at various events; May include evenings and weekends, if time permits.
Previous operations, customer service and administrative experience preferred, but not required.
Title: Volunteer Engagement Student Intern
Division | Department: University Relations | Alumni Association
Report to: Erica Lane, Alumni Volunteer Program Manager
Work Hours: 10 hours per week
Compensation: $12.50/hour + credit if applicable
The Alumni Association aims to be the heart of the university, inspiring lifelong connections with a global network of Maryland alumni. Through membership, volunteerism, advocacy, and philanthropy, the Alumni Association connects, cultivates, and channels the power of alumni to enrich themselves and advance the university.
The Volunteer Engagement Student Intern will be a member of the Alumni Engagement & Outreach team and report to the Manager of Alumni Volunteer Programs.
Alumni Association Intern Program participants will:
● Demonstrate increased knowledge of the university, alumni relations, advancement, and non-profit work;
● Strengthen their written and oral communication skills, relationship building, database use, organization, and attention to detail;
● Enhance performance of the Alumni Association through assisting with day-to-day operations.
● Learn basic office etiquette skills.
How to Apply:
For best consideration, apply by September 21, 2022.
Send your resume and unofficial transcript in PDF format to Erica Lane (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This role will have three main foci (below) as well as day-to-day tasks assigned by the Alumni Volunteer Program Manager.
Social media & marketing
● Manage Volunteer Leader Facebook page
● Make updates to the alumni website
● Develop alumni newsletters
Research and tracking alumni data
● Analyze data from alumni surveys
● Conduct research projects to form best practices
● Track volunteer involvement and send appreciation gifts
Alumni event support and administration
● Set up event registration pages
● Assist with on-campus events as needed
● Track event attendance
● Send event supplies
● Current student through May 2023
● Friendly and courteous with a proven track record of outstanding customer service skills
● Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Google Drive
● Proficiency in and experience using various social media platforms (specifically Facebook and LinkedIn)
● Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
● Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
● Capable of working independently, but willing to take directions and ask questions to meet team goals and ensure that projects are in line with objectives
● Willing to have fun while working and show an energetic Terp spirit
Title: Special Events Intern
Division: University Relations
Department: Alumni Association
Report to: Mary Bathon Associate Director of Alumni Events and Programs
Work Hours: 10-12 hours per week
The University of Maryland Alumni Association seeks an energetic, self-starter to serve as a Student Intern on the Special Events team for the fall 2022 semester. In this position, the event intern will report to the Assistant Director of Alumni Events and Programs and support the Alumni Programs and Events team in their administrative processes, event planning, special projects, marketing, data reporting, and some event execution on-site, as needed.
Interns will learn about the university, university relations, and the Alumni Association as it relates to its events and programming for alumni constituents. Moreover, students will be exposed to the inner-workings of a non-profit such as engagement techniques, marketing, cultivation, stewardship, and membership, with high involvement and exposure to event planning.
Qualified candidates should have superb customer service skills, excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, be highly motivated individuals, have superior communication skills, and exude Terp pride.
Full-time undergraduate student
Must be able to work for at least one full semester on a consistent schedule for roughly 10-12 hours per week
Available to work occasional weekend hours
Have a strong interest or prior experience working in events
Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Familiarity and proficiency with social networking websites
Friendly and courteous with a proven track record of outstanding customer service skills
Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
Able to be a quick learner and successful multitasker
Capable of working independently, but willing to take directions and ask questions to meet team goals
Willing to take direction and ask questions to ensure that projects are in line with objectives
Willing to have fun while working and show an energetic Terp spirit
If interested, please send resume and unofficial transcript to Mary Bathon (email@example.com)